Friday, August 20, 2010

Ahhh...Go Fly A Kite

I love the uninhibited laughter of a small child. Sweet, unaffected and completely oblivious to anything around them;  their eyes sparkle, the dimples deepen and out comes this captivating sound of pure joy. My personal favorite is the belly laugh. That one makes me feel better no matter what is going on at the time.

Yesterday at lunch there was a young girl with her grandparents and her laughter entertained not only them but all of us within earshot. I'm certain she had no idea the bright spot she was making in our lives. For some reason it reminded of a day many years ago. An ordinary day in the life of a young mom, but that day took an unexpected turn.

My son was about three years old at the time and his dad had bought him a new kite. It could have been his first, I'm not sure. But that morning after breakfast he asked if we could fly his new kite. Well, sure, why not. So, at 9:00 on a summer morning he and I took to the backyard. Of course everyone knows that moms are not the expert kite flyers, but I was giving it my best shot.

Up and down the yard we ran with that stubborn kite that would not get over 10 feet in the air. We ran though - over and over again. My housecoat flapping in the breeze, hair flying everywhere at once. Him with nothing on but his PJ bottoms and both of us barefoot. Sometimes we sat on the back steps with a quick drink to cool off and discuss why this wasn't working for us. He would giggle and we would try again.

Why do I remember that day so clearly? It was the laughter. We laughed and laughed as we ran barefoot together through the grass.

The kite was insignificant; its the laughter I remember. Well, and the fact that we never got that stupid kite up in the air. I do remember coming in and being shocked that it was noon. The breakfast dishes were still sitting on the table; the laundry was piled in front of the washer; we were still in our pj's; our feet were dirty.... and we laughed. And that is what I remember of that day.

It's been a long time since I ran laughing and barefoot in the grass with my housecoat flapping in the breeze. But the laughter; that continues and it's part of what makes life good. Seasons change, people grow up, but the memories remain and the laughter is good for our soul.

A merry heart does good like a medicine.




1 comment:

Spokenfor said...

wonderful! made me smile :)