Thursday, September 2, 2010

Movin' Up!

Seasons and levels often go together in our lives. As we progress through each season we learn and mature and move upward toward our goals. For me, the season of my life has much to do with what level I operate on. In the springtime I tend to peace out and enjoy sitting and watching the season unfold. In the fall, however, the cooler weather energizes me.

No matter how they affect us, the seasons of our lives mark our time here on earth. Some for good, others we would just as soon forget. But getting back to the idea of levels, I'm thinking today about what helps me to move from one level to another, whether it be creatively,  financially, spiritually, or in any other area of my life.

For me, I think it comes down to how badly I want it. For years I've dreamed of becoming a professional photographer. I have not, however, taken classes to improve my abilities. Nope - but I've dreamed. I've thought about what kind of photographer I would be and of course how much money I would make. Millions for sure! But the point is, I apparently do not want it badly enough to commit myself to improving my skills.

So, I remain on pretty much the same level I've been on for years. To be proficient in any area normally requires "want-to";  it takes commitment, time and effort. The talents God placed inside me are His gifts to me. What I do with them and how I develop them are my responsibility. Of course He empowers, He encourages, He sends others along to help, but still, I must take the initiative and get moving. As a young friend of mine once said, "'sponsibility is hard." For sure, for sure, but worth the effort.

So, today, I'm taking a close look at goals not yet reached, dreams not realized, and what my level of desire is at this season in my life. Am I moving up? Or simply treading water?

Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.

1 comment:

Spokenfor said...

very good! made me think!