Sunday, September 5, 2010

I See You?

The first time ever I saw your face, I thought the sun rose in your eyes.

The first time I saw my future husband's face I only noticed that it was handsome, but the first time I saw my husband's face I fell hopelessly in love. I have looked into the faces of many babies, but the first time I saw the faces of my babies they captured my heart completely.

Faces are everywhere: on street corners, in grocery stores, work places, at football games and shopping malls. Our face is our portrait to the world around us. Its been said the eyes are the windows of the soul, they uncover our emotions, whether it be love and acceptance or anger and frustration. Lying eyes normally dart and bounce around trying to avoid having someone see the truth inside.

 Photographers are careful in most portraits to emphasize the eyes of their subject in order to reflect their personality. Even in nature  photography, the eyes are ever so important. Our eyes, however, are not only windows for others to see into our heart, but they are also windows we use to peer out at the world around us. I'm wondering today how well I use these little eyes of mine to really see the faces around me.

The first time ever I saw your face. Did I see your face? Really see your face? Or did I rush past with my own thoughts and plans and never see the real you looking back at me? Did I miss a silent call for understanding, for compassion? Did I fail to see the strain exposed in your eyes?

Or, perhaps the joy that was bubbling out of you? I could have wrapped myself in that for just a moment and my day would have been lifted ...  had I only stopped to really see your face.

The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. Matt. 6:22

No comments: