Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Eggs and Two Edged Swords



Easter has come and gone for this year leaving me way overboard on my Weight Watcher's points. It has also left me full of gratitude for all the Lord has done for me over the years. Of course with a family the size of ours, it is rare that everyone can be here at the same time, but looking around at the family members we were fortunate to have with us yesterday was a feast to my eyes and my heart. 

Like any family, we have our problems, our struggles and our conflicts. Occasionally we struggle with one another but more often we struggle together against a common foe. Life is busy for most of us and time together is hard to come by. But this morning I am aware that above it all stands Jesus with his arms outstretched. A calmness washes away pressures and worries. He is here with us and all is well. Underneath really are the Everlasting Arms. 


For me, the trick is to try and live according to the spirit as opposed to the soul. Don't get me wrong, I love laughing and playing and enjoying life with my heart and mind wide open to my surroundings. But getting into the soulish realm with all its emotions and sentimentality when it comes to serious life matters can wreck a person. Looking through the eyes of my feelings puts too much responsibility on me to 'fix' things. Looking through His eyes and His Word makes life do-able again. 


Maybe what I am trying to say is: I will take all the good emotions and feelings that come from living in this world surrounded by people I love. I will soak up all the happiness my soul can hold during those times. But the depressing stuff that comes from my mind and the enemy... I think I will pass on those and look unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith. I choose to walk after the Spirit and accept his take on the matter. 


Is that cop-out theology? Nope - that, my friend, is just plain good sense.



For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword; piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb 4:11-13


He knows my heart and He is faithful. Isn't that all I really need to know? 

I hope your weekend was as enjoyable as mine. 


Loving the season and making the memories...


No comments: