Sunday, November 20, 2011

Love Lifted Me

When Royce was in the burn unit in Utah back in 2000, the Lord came to him late one night and healed him in a miraculous way. Most of you know that, but the interesting thing is what He said that night. OK - first the Lord said, "I have heard their prayers." That was a wonderful encouragement to all of us. But after that, later in their "conversation" Jesus said to Royce: "My love will lift you up."

It took us a while to understand what a powerful statement that was. Not only was He talking about an amazing physical healing, but a lifting up emotionally, mentally and spiritually as well. Since then, Love Lifted Me  has become one of Royce's favorite songs and the phrase is one we have often discussed, pondering the depth of its meaning.

I remember years ago one of our grandsons was about two years old when he contracted a serious staff infection. His parents rushed him to the hospital late one night and when they called to let me know they were bringing his older brothers by our house I had an immediate fear grab my heart. Before I could hang the phone up, the Lord spoke to me, "ride the storm." Ride the storm. The storm is here - its a bad one - ride it.

The only way I could ride that storm was to allow Him to lift me up to that place. The storm was indeed a very bad one. For a while we were not certain our grandson would live. He was covered in big open sores to the point he looked like a tiny monster sitting in the middle of the hospital bed. But then he would flash that famous smile of his and we knew that he too, was riding the storm. After three harrowing days the Lord not only healed him but the sores left no scars. Two years later at four years of age, he was the one most concerned about Granddaddy being confined to a hospital bed for so long.

I'm sure now that he is a teenager he has forgotten that scary time, but sometimes when I look at that beautiful smile I thank God that He lifted each of us up to ride that storm. God's love is like that. In the spirit realm His love is tangible; it has substance and can hold you. God is love. Love is God.

When I sing that song, Love Lifted Me, in my heart I'm singing, God Lifted Me.

And He did and He will. Storms come into all our lives but through His love we can rise above and ride the storm to a new and deeper place in Him.

Love LIfted Me by The Statler Brothers

No comments: