Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Days Of Our Lives

Like sands through the hour glass...so are the days of our lives. That phrase has been running through my mind for a few days now, so I thought why not just give in and wander down that path?

Back in 1965 when Days first premiered I was a very young mother with my first baby boy. Life was easy and good. My "days" were filled with taking care of a baby, learning how to make a house a home and generally moving into a grown-up world.

I remember the hype surrounding the show that would be starring MacDonald Carey, who was a rather important actor in those days. He was not one you would expect to see on a daytime soap opera. Thinking back to those days, the memory that grabs my emotions is one of my Grandmother. After years of raising six children, long hours, hard work and certainly no T.V., Mama S had finally arrived at a time of relaxation ... and discovered daytime soap operas.

Although she had been an integral part of my life, our relationship was not a "chatty" one. Everything changed with the entrance of Days. She and I talked once a week about the show, the characters, the plot; all as if they were real people with real problems. I loved seeing her as a person rather than just a Grandma as we chatted away about it all. Sadly, the new wore off, our interest in the show faded and we moved on with our individual lives; but Days gave me a little place with my Grandma that I have not forgotten.

Years later that same baby boy went away to college. One day he mentioned in a phone conversation that he had to go because he didn't want to miss Days.  His daily routine included watching Days in the locker room with a group of players. Man! We had come full circle. The same show he cut his teeth on while in diapers he was now enjoying during his initial break away from home. I'm thinking even Jesus snickered about that one. But that too passed and life moved on. I seriously doubt that he has watched a soap opera in many years, he probably doesn't even remember Days, but Mom does.

Isn't it interesting that something as insignificant as a daytime soap opera has connected three generations?  I had no idea Days was still on the air until I did some checking before writing this post. I had never stopped to think about the connection between my Grandma, my son, me and Days. 

So, OK - this is not a profound, make-you-think kind of post, but its a reminder to me of how life winds around and comes back to make me smile. It reminds me to take advantage of every opportunity, no matter how small, to share something with a loved one.

Its been years since I thought of my phone conversations with Mama S, but I cherish the memory. In my heart I carry something special that came about because of a shared interest. It's funny that I haven't watched Days since back in the 60's, but the interest isn't important, the sharing is. Our lives do slip away like sands through the hour glass, but the memories remain and they make me smile.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

No comments: