Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Unopened Packages ..



Isn't it exciting to think about a brand new year all ready and waiting to be opened and experienced? Just think, 365 new days filled with unexpected treasures! It's mind boggling. Of course the Lord who knows the end from the beginning is aware of every detail that will impact our lives this year and He has already made provisions to cover every need.

Lately, the spiritual realm appears to be very close. I imagine (or realize) a thin veil, someone called it a thin membrane, that separates our world and the spirituals.  I feel I could poke a hole in it and see marvelous things just on the other side. I think the activity there is constant, teeming with boundless energy, but at the same time great peace and order.

For me, if I could poke through that hole, the first thing I would want to see is the face of Jesus. Not in a vision or a dream but actually face to face. Once, years ago, I had a glimpse of His eyes. I was having a very difficult time and had prayed and cried until I was exhausted. Then, just as I was falling asleep, there He was. All I could see were his eyes and all He said was, "I know."  That brief encounter changed my heart and my life. The look in His eyes is seared onto my heart and will never be erased.

 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
Psalm 32: 8

Years ago we sang a song about His eyes:

"O, Lord, you're beautiful.
Your face is all I see.
And when your eyes
Are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me."
(Keith Green)

Today, I  take comfort in the truth that His eyes of love watched over me all through 2011. He was committed, even when I wasn't.

It is a good time to take stock and be certain all the failures, discouragements and struggles from last year are repented over and laid aside. So, as I pack up my Christmas decorations I'll be doing a little spiritual packing up also - getting rid of the old debris and making  a clean slate for 2012.

Of course there are times in our lives that hurts, wounds and emotional pain go so deeply into our souls that only God can heal. For those we keep going to God and trusting Him for our healing. Our part is to keep taking them to Him; His part is to heal. And He will, in time, heal our hearts.

I will  keep the good times from 2011 and store them in my heart. They are treasures to be opened and enjoyed over and over through the coming years.  This year is almost over and God is still on the throne. He hasn't been surprised or threatened by anything that happened in 2011.  He is still in control and His eyes are still on His children.

Come on 2012 - let's start this thing!

Happy New Year everyone!!!!






No comments: