Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Purple Chair

The Lord is with me wherever I go. Why then does it seem that He is more with me some places than others?  Did you ever notice that? Some places have a special closeness to Jesus. For me it is in my purple chair in the bedroom, in front of the bay window. I think the Holy Spirit is partial to that area too.

When I go to my chair I really do not have time to pray before He's there. Isn't that interesting? Perhaps it because we've met there so many times before, but it's like he's waiting for me. What an awesome thought: that Jesus is waiting for me. And, even more awesome, He enjoys being with me.

I remember when we were in the burn unit in Utah: I was sitting all alone in a crowded hospital cafeteria when He showed up to sit with me. That moment is forever etched in my being. The fact that He came was wonderful enough, but he came as my Friend! Not to preach or even to talk, but just to sit with me and be my Friend. The revelation of Jesus as my Friend was amazing on an entirely new level for me. Later, someone told me that He chooses his friends. I cannot even begin to put into words what that does for my heart. Over the years our friendship has grown and deepened, just like any earthly friendship.

He is still Savior, Deliverer, Mighty God, Holy One. But, think about it; if He is all those things but not your friend, he remains distant. Am I a name dropper? You betcha! When it comes to His name I'll let everyone know I have special treatment - I'm HIS!

Today its the purple chair, in 2000 it was the hospital cafeteria, or the cement bench outside the hospital. I'm thinking perhaps our place of visitation with Jesus is anywhere we get still and quiet and open to His presence. Of course He is always with us; He promised that. But it is different when He breaks through into our consciousness and we talk with Him face to face.

It can be noisy and busy all around us, but deep inside our spirit we open and there He is, waiting to help, comfort, correct, guide, encourage and listen -- whatever we need at the moment. He is indeed an awesome God!

I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.

This is my command: Love each other.
John 15:15 - 17

No comments: