Sunday, February 6, 2011

Soar Like An Eagle...Or Even A Crane

Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away. Or as David so eloquently stated in Psalm 55:6 "Oh, If I had the wings of a dove, I would fly away and be at rest." Cop out theology? Perhaps. David, however, spoke of flying away to the desert. That would not be my first choice.

I read a comment in a news letter from David Wilkerson this morning that was more like my thoughts. He stated there are two things the Holy Spirit whispers to our hearts to bring comfort:
1. "you are loved."
2. "you are leaving."

I like that!

Yes, we occupy til He comes. Yes, we are connected, active and interested in the affairs of this world, our families and the Church. We are commissioned to go into the highways and byways and speak of God's love and faithfulness. Nothing brings greater satisfaction in life than seeing God move in lives as we pray.

But, bottom line, we are loved and we are leaving. Heaven is still our goal; our home for all eternity. I never want to become so entangled in the affairs of this life that I forget where we are going and how wonderful it will be there.

One of my favorite songs from years ago still rings true in my heart:

O, Lord, you know I have no friend like you
If Heaven's not my home, then Lord what would I do.
The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!

No comments: