Friday, October 21, 2011

Standing

Its one of those seasons when it seems everyone I talk to is in the midst of a spiritual battle of some sort. Recently, we have heard a little of everything from depression to health issues, to broken relationships to addictions - the enemy is very busy these days. I know that is his job, but does anyone besides me wish he would just stop it???? Just give it a rest!!

But, since he is committed to killing each and every one that he can, we have to suck it up and stay committed as well. Lately I've been praying out of Ephesians 6 where Paul lays out the armor of God. Right off, let me say, it is a good thing we don't have to "suit up" every morning or the enemy would do me in before I even have my coffee. Mornings are not my best time.

Last night was one of those lay awake and stare at the ceiling times, so I took the opportunity to pray over some situations. Once again, the armor of God came to mind and I started to picture a soldier arrayed in God's armor. 

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take  your stand against the devil's schemes. Eph 6:10&11

Seriously, if I have all that armor on in the natural I'm going to need a spear or a gun or some sort of weapon to hurt someone. Stand??? Stand??? That's it?

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Eph 6: 12 & 13

What is the "everything" you have done? Put on the helmet of salvation; imperative and non-negotiable.  Belt of truth - walk in it, speak it, love it. Breast plate of righteousness  - our righteousness is in Jesus Christ which covers our hearts and protects our vital spiritual organs. Shield of faith - to defend ourselves from the enemy's nasty arrows. Reading the Bible and using it as the sword of the Spirit to refute all the devil's ungodly claims.

And finally, this is my favorite part, walking in peace. One of the greatest ways to defeat the enemy is just to keep our peace. Don't argue with him, don't try to convince him, just speak truth, cover your head with salvation, protect your heart, read the word to him and keep  your peace. I love it!!

Now, if only it were as simple as it sounds. And of course it should be but for me it never is. I remember years ago when I was first saved I bought a beautiful plaque for the wall over my desk at work. It read:

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

HA! Anyone who came close was in danger of losing their peace and shattering mine. What a riot it was until I realized I had made a statement that my baby stage Christianity was not able to carry off. That was my first experience in not letting my mouth get ahead of my brain. We are told to stand; not back down; speak the truth; but walk in peace. So, the "declaration" came down and I learned to let my life speak for me. Humility and peace walk hand in hand.

I leave you with this thought - the armor sounds clunky and uncomfortable but when we wear it with the love and humility of Jesus Christ it fits like a glove and when we stand in peace and truth the enemy fears us more than we will ever know. As long as we refuse to tuck tail and run we are covered. Remember, there's no armor for our backsides!  Ouch!!!




No comments: